How Do I

The below list is based on the questions most frequently asked of our different departments. Is there a question that you would like to see added? Click here to contact the webmaster to add your question to the list.
How do I report a concern? (pothole, grass & tree, unshoveled snow, etc.)
The City of Pontiac now provides a new online service for reporting issues such as potholes, grass and tree trimming, storm drain problems and streetlight outages. Click here to access the "Citizen Request for Action Page. For snow removal from sidewalk complaints, click here to go to the Department of Public Works page. Fill out the form and click send to submit your report.
How do I pay my property taxes, income taxes, special assessments? How do I get a dog license?
Property taxes, income taxes and special assessments can be paid in person at the Treasurer's office located on the first floor of City Hall. Dog licenses can also be purchased in the treasurer's department with proof of vaccinations. Click here for detailed information about making payments through the Treasurer's Department. Click here for information on how to renew dog licenses. 

NEW: Online Property Tax Payment Website. You can now pay your property tax online. Click here to go to the City of Pontiac online property tax payment website.
How do I look up property, property tax and building permit information online?
The City of Pontiac now provides online Property Tax, Assessing and Building Permit information. Cost is $2.00 per search. Property information is updated every Tuesday, and Building permit information is updated daily. Click here to look up property information online.
How do I pay my water bill? What If I have a water or sewer emergency? What is a Precautionary Boil Water Notice?
waterbillcenterWater and Sewer bill payments may be dropped off at the lock box located in the lobby at the City Hall. For information regarding Water and Sewer payments, go to the Oakland County Water Resources Commission website or call 248-858-1110. If you have a water or sewer emergency, call Oakland County Water Resources Commission at: 248-624-6366. Whenever Oakland County Water Resource Commission does work on a water line, they issue a Precautionary Boil Water Notice to the houses affected. Click here to read the WRC Boil Water Questions and Answers publication.
How do I file my city income taxes?
How do I register to vote? Where do I vote? How do I get a copy of a birth/death/marriage certificate?
How do I contact my elected representative?
How do I get a building permit or a business license?
Building permits and business licenses are obtain through the Community Development department located on the first floor of City Hall. Click here to get detailed information regarding permits and licensing.
How do I get my event on the community calendar?
All events on the community calendar must be approved by the executive office. Click here to submit a request and state that it is for the city community calendar on the city website.
How do I schedule a special trash pickup? What is the refuse collection schedule for my neighborhood?
Special trash pick service is provided on the same day as refuse collection. Items must be scheduled at least 24 hours prior to refuse collection by calling (888) 443-1717 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Residents are allowed four (4) Special Pickups per year/four (4) items per pickup. Click here to go to the Sanitation webpage for refuse collection schedules and routes, trash collection guidelines and holiday trash collection schedules.
How do I get a  new street sign or traffic light for my neighborhood?
What is the Great Lakes Water Authority?
The Great Lakes Water Authority is a new governing structure for the Detroit-owned water and sewerage systems. More information can be found in the attached document (click here).